I pulled this recipe together after a long morning of rowing workouts. I dreamt up this recipe when I found leftover turkey bacon, lemon and Brussels sprouts that needed to be used, and combined those ingredients with the bowtie pasta I was craving! I have cooked a similar recipe from “How to Cook Everything: The Basics,” called “Pasta with Broccoli and Sausage,” and that experience informed my steps for this recipe.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Turkey Bacon Pasta – serves 6 – 8
Betsy and I chatted after I made this dish, and she suggested that Canadian bacon could also be used. She also mentioned using liquid hickory smoke and edamame for a no-meat version of the dish. Toasted walnuts, slivered almonds or pine nuts might make a nice topping.
You will need:
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- one pound of bowtie pasta
- about 1 T olive oil
- 2 slices of turkey bacon, chopped or torn into small pieces
- 1 T lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 T grated parmesan cheese
- one egg per serving
- Set up your food processor with the slicing disc. Wash Brussels sprouts and chop off rough ends. Feed Brussels sprouts into your food processor be shredded.
- Add water to a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil for your pasta. Add pasta when water is ready, and follow cooking directions according to package. Do not dump out your pasta water – you will want some later on.
- In a large, stainless steel skillet heat about 1 T olive oil over medium heat. Add turkey bacon and cook, stirring so bacon does not stick to your pan. When bacon has browned a bit, add shaved Brussels sprouts to the pan.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water and cover your skillet with a lid to steam.
- When Brussels sprouts are just beginning to become tender, squeeze lemon juice over the pan and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet using a slotted spoon. Remove pasta pot from heat and reserve pasta water.
- Stir pasta and Brussels sprouts to incorporate, and grate a generous pile of parmesan cheese on top. Add up to 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water as needed to keep moisture in the dish and to create a creamy sauce to coat the pasta.
- If desired, scoop one serving of shaved Brussels sprouts and turkey bacon pasta into a separate small pot or pan over medium heat and add one egg. Scramble ingredients until egg is fully cooked and egg whites go from clear to white.
Source: Bittman, Mark. How to Cook Everything: The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food–with 1,000 Photos. N.p.: John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2012. Print.