Last month, I had the chance to visit my dear friends Hannah and Robby at their home in Fort Collins, CO. Hannah and Robby are both busy with work and school, and I was impressed by their system for getting fresh, colorful food on the table everyday. Keep these tips in mind for when you need to decrease your cooking time!
On my first night in Fort Collins, Hannah picked me up from the airport and we had dinner ready in just about 20 minutes. We saved time by using pre-cut butternut squash and Brussels sprouts from the grocery store. After we steamed the veggies for a few minutes in one large pan, we mixed them with fresh pepper and salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
The following day, Hannah and I spent a few hours at the climbing gym, where she taught me the ropes! Rock climbing was thrilling and engaging, and I loved using my mind and body in a new way. We arrived home hungry, and I was grateful that it did not take long to cook our dinner. For dinner, we used pre-made meatless “Beyond Meat” burger patties from Whole Foods. The “Beyond Meat: Beyond Burger” is the best frozen, meatless burger I’ve had so far! We wanted potatoes on the side, and to save time, we used small fingerling potatoes. Fingerling potatoes cut your roasting time in half. We again steamed our veggies for a few minutes before sautéing.
Beyond Burgers and Veggies – serves 4
You will need:
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 1 head of purple cauliflower, or broccoli or cauliflower
- 1 t garlic powder
- 4 frozen burger patties (we loved Beyond Meat Beyond Burgers) – thawed
- burger buns or wheat bread
Optional: ketchup, parmesan cheese, avocado
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Halve any large fingerling potatoes and scatter potatoes on a roasting sheet. Drizzle olive oil across potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roll around on pan to evenly coat with oil, then roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, remove the stem from your head of cauliflower and chop into bite sized pieces. Steam your cauliflower in a large pan over medium heat with just a little water (about 1/2 C) at the bottom of the pan. Add a lid to your pan to speed up the steaming process. After about 5 minutes, the cauliflower should feel softer when pierced with a fork. Add a drizzle of oil and salt, pepper and garlic powder. Keep stirring cauliflower occasionally – at this point, the pieces should begin to brown and become crisp.
- Finally, follow the directions on your meatless burger box and prepare the Beyond Burgers! Check on your potatoes to make sure they are becoming golden and crispy.
- Serve with ketchup, shaved parmesan for the potatoes, and sliced avocado for the burgers.