This week I tested out a recipe for cashew chicken with vegetables, which I have been craving since I made the “Asian Chicken with Peanut Sauce” from Racing Weight. Jess took me to the Pacific Beach Farmers Market before we went to the grocery store, and it was a treat to shop outside! We bought organic broccoli that had been picked earlier that day from JR Organics, and used it for this dinner. We also bought some fascinating cauliflower heads from Suzie’s Farm (see gallery) that I cannot wait to experiment with.
This recipe satisfies my craving for a spicy weeknight meal that balances protein, veggies, carbs and fats. I made this dish for Jess and her mom last night, at her mom’s home in PB. Even without red pepper flakes, this dish had some heat! For those who do not like spicy food, consider leaving out the sriracha from your sauce.
Cashew Chicken with Vegetables – serves 4
The sriracha, fresh ginger and garlic in this recipe provide plenty of heat! If you like things extra spicy, I would consider adding 1 teaspoon of hot red pepper flakes to the sauce. When I visit my parents, I cook gluten-free recipes for my mother; to make this recipe gluten-free, use equal parts Tamari sauce in place of soy sauce. If you do not have peanut flour on hand, you can use 2 T peanut butter, or cashew butter for your sauce.
You will need:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 broccoli crowns
- ½ large red onion, chopped into large pieces
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 C brown rice
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
For your sauce:
- 1.5 C veggie broth
- 1/4 C peanut flour – we used PB2
- ½ C raw cashews
- 1 T fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 T sriracha sauce
- 1 T honey
- 1 T soy sauce
Optional: hot red pepper flakes
- Chop peppers, broccoli and red onion and set aside. Chop garlic and ginger.
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Begin cooking by bringing vegetable broth to a simmer, adding liquid ingredients. Add peanut flour, stirring until combined. Add garlic, ginger and cashews. For extra heat, add 1t or more hot red pepper flakes.
- Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat. Add red onion and sauté for two minutes. Add broccoli with ½ cup water and cover.
- Heat another pan over medium heat and add chicken and half of sauce, stirring to coat. By this point, the sauce should have reduced in volume by about a third.
- Add red peppers and remaining sauce to the veggie pan. Stir to coat and sauté for five minutes. Meanwhile, stir chicken.
- Remove veggies from heat and add to large serving dish. Add chicken to serving dish and mix with veggies.
- Serve over rice.
Sauce inspiration: Fitzgerald, Matt, and Georgie Fear. “Asian Chicken with Peanut Sauce.” Racing Weight Cookbook: Lean, Light Recipes for Athletes. Boulder: Velopress, 2013. 230-231. Print.